Saturday, July 1, 2006

The Importance of Logic

In our Philosophy 01 class the teacher repeatedly says something like "Logic is a tool for correct thinking."  I learned that the hard way.



Not that I'm not used to using logic that well, it's just that I usually just use it in mind games. 



Today, one of the enemies of my lady friend texted me that she, my lady friend, is dead; of course I did not know it was her enemy some time later.  I repeatedly told myself that the chances of that happening are one in, I don't know, like a couple hundred thousand?  But what really confused me was that the number was registered with the name of her neighbor, who by the way is a very good friend of hers, because she used that number a few weeks ago.  So the text message went like, and I quote, "s ds jay? namatay bia c ______ ". (translated in english: "... ____ died.")  So initially I was skeptic at first and then the my phone read a similar message asking if I was her boyfriend.  I couldn't make a reply since I didn't have load on my phone. 



Some time later it read "naligsan xa kai gkan nag pa load 2 txt u.,".  (translated: She was in a car accident after buying load just to text you.)  Given that information, the chances of her buying load to text me were increased significantly so I was beginning to worry.  So by the time I got loaded I texted her if this was some kind of sick joke. It then read "lg..dli ni bnuang". (t:this is no joke) so given the credentials and the rather plausible explanation (the other day my lady friend told me there was a kid in first grade who got hit in a car accident and her/his brains were all splattered on the street, and I have to say the images in my head were not the least bit wholesome.) I was beginning to calculate the odds of that happening without questioning the validity of the proposition. 



Then I asked if her best friend was there, she replied she was in the city; then I asked if her family knew, she replied "gubot kau cka diri" (*note the typo's* t: They're a little chaotic here. --or something like that).  So I tried calling but the phone was busy.  I tried calling my lady friend's number, not in coverage area; same for her best friend's number.  I texted the biznitch that I wanted to make a call she said her battery's low.  So I asked who can I call? She said everyone there had low batteries because there was a blackout...  See the pattern? *duh*



By this time I should have been even more skeptic but no... I had to believe her bull shiznit.  Right now I feel so stupid typing this but I want to make the truth known!  You're probably thinking right now that I'm such a dumbass and I admit that I can be one sometimes.  By this time my mother and I were already fighting as to what I should do.  I told the fraudulent, venal and virulent piece of crap that she is that I was on my way, and finally my wake up call finally arrived.  She says and I quote again, "ha?yaw oi pls ayaw".(t: what? don't, please don't -- that was a blunt translation though)  So my mother, the ever impenetrable fortress from deceit, told me that she's fooling you; but that was after I believed such crap and cried myself to tears.  Then as if I was just bitchslapped, I woke up to reality and God was I furious. Then I went shopping with my mom.



Between that and shopping was a lot of cursing through text messaging and after all the dust had settled I realized what an ignorant stupid ass I was, and I'm like "oh, so that's why logic is important."  I'm still shaking my head in disbelief that I fell for such a prank, but I guess what really held me from reality was the fear of losing someone I love. Dang!

No comments:

Post a Comment