Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Wanton Realization from a Seemingly Insignificant Event

It was a bright sunny morning.  The humming from the air conditioner was all that was heard as tensions rose,  the cold air was not helping,
until the teacher called out the next name.



One word-- EXTEMPORANEOUS SPEECH.



LOL



If you didn't notice the typographical error before, you may now laugh.



I was keeping myself as calm as humanly possible before a speech.  I was constantly making fun out of scratch, making random remarks about all things trivial, trying to get a giggle here and there.  As the names were called, and the tension slowly seeping away through my laughter and wanton ranting, there I was.



"Michael Jay Sasoy"



The one name I almost dreaded last Monday.  The teacher said, don't think of words; think of ideas.  Two minutes is all the time I've got.



Anxiously, I peered over the box with papers and found what seemed to be a flipped up piece that the topic was clearly in view.  I decided to take my chances on those faced down.



"cartoon-characters"



Thank God for television.



Instead of getting nervous, I found myself getting pumped up.  The last speaker before me was rung at with a bell and I knew it was my turn.



"Cartoon characters-- admit it.  We've all imagined what it would be like to live the life of a cartoon-character.  Falling anvil, a few seconds after we come out unscathed- without a single scratch.



And how many of you have heard of anime? (audience murmurs in agreement)



Wouldn't it be fantastic to ride a robot and wreak havoc upon the world?  If you blow up, you come out unharmed.  Wouldn't it be fun to do things without a single care in the world?



But friends, we live in a world of illusion.  Now is the time to wake up to reality and appreciate the things that matter most, our friends, our family, before all of that will be gone. (bell rings)
(Pausing, I was unable to think and make a final statement so I just said: ) Thank you."



Thank God for premeditated ideas from blogs I both wrote and read. 



The audience cheered, as if it was all some sort of show.  I could only wish that the message was clear and that they have received it.  Now it's up to them on what to do with that information.

4 comments:

  1. i don't which one you counted Jay, the Extempo one or the speech, but there are actually two words...LoL...anyway, great words there...I've always wanted to be witty...sad to say, I'm not like you or Ryan Seacrest or Ryan Agoncillo...sigh...bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the first sentence says: I don't *know* which blah blah blah...sorry...LoL...by the way, which typographical error were you talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "One word-- EXTEMPORANEOUS SPEECH."

    Simple, it's two not one. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey jay. haha. i guess there'd be a lot to say about that. cartoon characters. haha. good for you! BTW thanks for dropping by my blog. \^0^/ God bless! kip it posting!

    ReplyDelete