It was a cold rainy night, the street lights emanated a shade of orange as it reflected on the wet tarmac. The raindrops spattered on the top of my umbrella as I was waiting for the next jeepney bound to where I live.
A woman crossed the road from a local bank and tried to ride a "motorela" but the driver refused since they were headed another way. (From where I come from, you have to tell the driver first as to where you want to go before they either let or not let you ride)
This woman, probably in her late twenties or early thirties, wrapped a handtowel over her head like a hood. Realizing that she was standing in the rain I motioned her to join me under my umbrella. She asked if I was going to ride a jeep so I nodded in reply.
I kept my eyes to my left keeping constant watch for any motorela's that may come by, trying to not make a sound as to not make the entire situation any more awkward. So I asked her where she was going in Cebuano. She said she was going to the provincial hospital. Her mother had suffered from a stroke. She went to the bank to get money for her medicine.
I was touched.
I was so embarassed that I didn't invite her to get under my umbrella sooner. She then asked what jeepney route I was taking. She was speaking in Filipino so I replied in Filipino that it didn't matter; I was going to make her ride first. She too, I think, was touched based from the expression on her face. She even said that "bihira lang ang mga taong ganun." (There are few people who are like you)
Forget touched, I was overwhelmed. Here I was thinking "oh how long will the next jeep arrive" and she was probably hoping her mother was okay.
We can all be selfish at times. We become so worried about things trivial and commonplace at times that we forget that there is so much suffering and trouble in the world and forget even more to pitch in some help.
I merely played my part. It's time for us to "bring our umbrellas" for those who have none.
Well I'll be damn!^_^ you continue to surprise me Mr. Sasoy!..good job! props to you man.^_-
ReplyDeletejay!:D maau jud au ni c jay bei... you xur did ur part.0_o weee...
ReplyDeleteyou write and like this and you're only 18? gosh this world needs more guys like you! hehe..
ReplyDeletethanx for the comment...keep it coming..