There used to be a tree in my neighborhood. Now it has been devoid of its branches and I have to say it is a sorry sight. Like an obelisk of death it stands tall and I feel helpless as I see a tree that had a part in my childhood hacked. Feeling a very strong sense of nostalgia, I remember the times when my childhood friends/neighbors used to hide behind that tree when we played hide and seek because it was a good hiding spot. For so long a time it just stood there giving us shade- like it had a choice. I guess at some point in our lives we just have to say goodbye to that which has "breathed their last breath".
Yet of all the things in life, change is the only thing constant. No one can escape it; many will try to keep the status quo but fail miserably only to find that change may not be so much of a bad thing. Again, it may be bitter at first and it is that experience that makes us stronger; yet when we see experience a change that is at first glance beneficial to ourselves we welcome it with open arms.
Such are the ironies in life that make it all the more interesting.
Sunday, August 13, 2006
Eulogy to a Dead Tree
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hear! Hear!
ReplyDeleteAww... Don't worry Jay, i guess it's gone to "Tree Heaven" now... :-D
ReplyDeleteProbably a place much better than this dry, noisy Earth of ours... :D